Re: How to upgrade chain-booted grub-pc?

Dne, 30. 12. 2010 05:12:10 je Phil Requirements napisal(a):
On 2010-12-29 12:28:07 -0800, Mike Bird wrote:
> A dist-upgrade to Squeeze results in a chain boot
> comprising both grub1 (grub-pc) and grub2.
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Today's grub-pc update now wants to know where to
> automatically install, presumably because it does
> not recognize grub2's chain-boot setup.
>
> Unfortunately, I also don't know the details of
> what grub2 did to make the chain boot, so I don't
> know what to tell grub1 (grub-pc) when it asks:
>
> "The grub-pc package is being upgraded. This menu
> allows you to select which devices you'd like
> grub-install to be automatically run for, if any."
>
> Does anyone have any solid recommendations (no
> wild guesses please) as to how to determine the
> best response?

Solid recommendations will be particularly hard to get. Grub-PC (or Grub2, whatever you may call it) is still more or less in the "black magic" development phase. As powerful and robust as it is, I've never yet managed to make it work out-of-the-box. Well, almost never. Virtually every time I've installed it on pre-existing systems with pre-existing grub installations, it needed additional fine tuning (which is done through its /etc/grub.d/ scripts, and NOT by editing its /boot/grub/grub.cfg file). Once fine-tuned though, it's a pretty flexible boot loader, capable of booting live CD images, such as live Ubuntu CDs.

My 2¢.

This is not advice for your problem, I just wanted to
point out something I noticed. Your description of the
two grubs conflicts with my understanding of them. As
far as I know, the following is true:

    grub1 = grub-legacy
    grub2 = grub-pc

So, in my understanding grub1 != grub-pc. That alone may
give you a way to understand what grub-pc is asking you.

Hope this helps,

Phil