Re: Monitor question

On 12/30/2010 12:58 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
Johan Kullstam put forth on 12/29/2010 11:25 PM:

Good for you.  My gripe is that one can no longer choose.  It's
shortscreen or nothing.

I had an old thinkpad t42 with a 14" 1440x1050 and it rocked.  It
weighed only 4.5 lbs even with cd drive.  For me, it was an optimal size
and weight.  The current offerings are all inferior - they are heavier,
have less vertical screen dimension and worse resolution.
You're a member of a super-minority Johan.  The majority of the
marketplace wants wide screen, which is why you're finding little or
nothing else but widescreen.  Even the little toy netbook computers all
have widescreen LCDs.  That's very telling about the market.

I don't think so. But the whole bunch of us who have no use for wide-screen have been basically ignored by the vendors. I don't have room for a 23" wide-
screen that would have the same screen height as my 19" old-fashioned
monitor. How many people watch movies on their computers? That's
what TVs are for. Just before the "standard" monitors disappeared, I bought
another.

Well, let's face it--the mfrs sell a lot more TVs than computer monitors, so
that's what they make.  The computing public be damned!

--doug