Re: insserv + apache2 + bind9 = pain

On Tue December 28 2010 01:31:50 Camaleón wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 00:10:23 -0800, Mike Bird wrote:
> > Is it possible to go back to the old system?
>
> If you mean "how to disable dependency booting" yes, you can disable it
> to get the old behaviour, but you will still have to ensure bind9 is
> started before apache2:
>
> http://www.debian.org/releases/squeeze/i386/release-notes/ch-whats-new.en.h
>tml#dependency-boot

Thank you Camaleón.

CONCURRENCY=none may help some people with different problems, but
it does not solve the problem of unexpressed dependencies.

Is there a way to use the old-style reliable init system based on
the Snn and Knn values in rcn.d?  Real servers have dependencies
among numerous server processes.  A few of these dependencies relate
to Debian packaging but far more relate to configuration, scripting,
plugins, and even custom programming.

It is simply not worth the effort to spend hours trying to discover
and express all the dependencies on a bunch of servers in order to
save half a second of boot time once per year.  It took me four hours
to discover what was wrong in a very simple case.  This was not
helped by failures to log errors, bootchart2 missing from Squeeze,
a near complete lack of documentation, and insserv silently ignoring
errors in my early attempts to express missing dependencies.

I've read the very thin /usr/share/doc and man documentation and
googled extensively.  The new system may be great for script kiddies
rebooting their Ubuntu laptops twice a day but it is an appalling
idea for Debian servers.  It not only scales terribly (on the order
of N squared dependencies instead of N priorities) but is also very
poorly documented.

--Mike Bird