Re: insserv + apache2 + bind9 = pain

On Mon December 27 2010 23:55:00 Arthur Machlas wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 4:45 PM, Mike Bird <mgb-debian@yosemite.net> wrote:
> > If the Apache configuration needs DNS to start, Apache silently
> > and without logging anything fails to start in Squeeze.  This
> > used to work correctly under the old startup mechanism in Lenny.
>
> Create a new group in /etc/insserv.conf, and name the scripts that are
> required to start. Then list that group as a required start.

Thanks Arthur.

It's still the case then that one has to either edit
/etc/init.d/apache2 (which impedes future upgrades) or
else create a ten line /etc/insserv/overrides/apache2
and then manually keep it in step with future changes
to /etc/init.d/apache2?

This seems a lot more work and a lot more error prone
than the old sysv-rc system.  We've already found some
servers with apache2-bind9 dependencies, and others with
apache2-mysql dependencies.

Is it possible to go back to the old system?  All this
upgrade downtime is not worth the half second saved on
a server reboot which may only occur once a year.

--Mike Bird