Re: need motherboard recommendation

Le 27/12/2010 19:45, Stan Hoeppner a écrit :
> tv.debian@googlemail.com put forth on 12/27/2010 3:24 AM:
>
>> Frankly, I am not sure those technos are worth it on mother/gfx boards
>> unless you're a keeper, it will probably be replaced long before it
>> bursts a capacitor, much cheaper boards with whatever capacitors can
>> last for a couple of years should be good enough for most use.
>
> FWIW, I have a manufactured in 1999 Abit BP6 PPGA 370 mobo with _dual_
> Mendocino Celeron 366s o'clocked to 550.  Currently it's in my headless
> home office Lenny smtpd/imapd/smbd/httpd/ftpd/webmail Swiss Army Knife
> server.  I bought the board in used condition off Ebay in 2002, so the
> original owner ran it for at least a couple of years before I acquired it.
>
>>From 2002'ish to 2006 all it did was crunch 4 processes of the Linux
> Seti@Home client 24x7x365.  It's been running 24x7 for 8 years now, 4 of
> those at constant full CPU load.  It has the old industry standard
> cheapo caps.  It still runs fine, although a little slow at times by
> today's standards, mainly when manipulating photos and videos
> (imagemagick and ffmpeg) and running curator against dirs with thousands
> of jpgs.
>
> AFAIK the caps haven't burst, though last I looked at the board, a year
> or so ago when I added a new SATA controller and drive, a few caps
> around the ZIF sockets were bulging a slight bit.  This board has seen
> more current load on its caps than most boards ever will due to the
> constant Seti@Home for 4 years.
>
> My point is that tantalum caps might be nice and on average give longer
> life, but, they aren't absolutely necessary for long life.  If you
> consider 10 years of pretty harsh duty a "long life".  Who knows how
> many years my BP6 has left in it.  Hopefully at least a few, as I still
> love this board, and it works great in its current role.

Nice, that's what I meant by "unless you're a keeper". I have an IBM
small form factor tower with some Pentium II, can't check since it's
retired at my mother's but still worked the last time I tried, was a
mt-daapd server for years. It is rather unlikely that it would fit the
OP as a replacement for his motherboards though...
I keep around an ECS board with a AMD Athlon XP socket A, it's been
working great and still does (4 years old loves it) despite the complete
lack of any fancy capacitor or such. But the main workhorses are
multimedia (video, mostly HD) stations, performances usually get dwarfed
by newer hardware every couple of years, and the (relatively) "old" gear
is replaced. In this league the computer is very unlikely to outlive
high quality components. Of course it doesn't hurt.