Re: Re: whats wrong with my internet connection checker script?

Jasper Noë wrote:
> >$ ping -c 4 -w 4 google.com &> /dev/null && ping -c 4 -w 4 www.yahoo.com &> /dev/null || echo "no internet connection"
>
> But, but, ... if the ping to google succeeds, and the ping to yahoo
> fails, it prints "no internet".
>
> $ ping -c 4 -w 4 google.com &> /dev/null || ping -c 4 -w 4 www.yahoo.com &> /dev/null || echo "no internet connection"

I think the intent of S Mathias's original was that both sites needed
to be up and online or a failure would be reported.  I think the
intent was that if either one or the other didn't work then report a
failure.  Because of the included four test cases that showed all four
of the possibilities.

Your test here changes that behavior.  As to whether this is a good
idea to do it one way or the other way is a different question.  As to
whether it should be the other way around with a success being if
either ping succeeds that I don't know.  I am not sure what this test
is being used for.  But it is a different test.

Bob