Re: dual monitor setup fails (xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default; warning: output LVDS not found; ignoring; warning: output VGA not found; ignoring)

On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 22:51:22 +0900, Dietrich Bollmann wrote:

> Hi Camaleón,
>
> I am very grateful for your engagement and help! People like you make
> the Open Source world such an enjoyable experience!

Trying to help others is the best way for learning :-)

> On Mon, 2010-12-27 at 12:48 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> Better if you upload the whole file ("/var/log/Xorg.0.log") to any
>> online service, like www.pastebin.com so we can take a deep look.
>
> Here it is: http://pastebin.com/UCzMjMb2

Thanks!

Hum... let me extract some entries I think are relevant:

***
(--) PCI:*(0:0:2:0) 8086:27a2:17aa:201a Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/
GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller rev 3, Mem @
0xee100000/524288, 0xd0000000/268435456, 0xee200000/262144, I/O @
0x00001800/8

(II) VESA(0): Analog Display Input,  Input Voltage Level: 0.700/0.700 V

(--) VESA(0): Virtual size is 1280x1024 (pitch 1280)
***

1/ It seems you are using an Intel card
2/ As per my understanding, only one output is being detected
3/ Screen size is set to 1280x1024

Okay, the first problem I see here is that Xorg is loading "VESA" driver,
while it should use the "intel" one.

The second problem is that Xorg is detecting only one display, instead
the two ones (laptop/LCD? and external) but maybe this is a consequence
of the driver in use :-?

Are you booting the system with both displays attached and powered on?

I would first ensure your kernel has KMS enabled, which should be the
default while using a stock Debian kernel. I said this because of the
recent posts about this same issue just some days ago:

Let's see if Sven has any tip for you :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón