Re: dual monitor setup fails (xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default; warning: output LVDS not found; ignoring; warning: output VGA not found; ignoring)

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 16:19:37 +0900, Dietrich Bollmann wrote:

>> On Sat, 2010-12-18 at 15:17 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> > On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 14:06:25 +0900, Dietrich Bollmann wrote:
>> >
>> > Since a couple of weeks my dual monitor setup fails:
>> >
>> > # xrandr --output LVDS --output VGA --right-of LVDS --primary
>> >
>> > xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default warning:
> output
>> > LVDS not found; ignoring warning: output VGA not found; ignoring
>>
>> Review your "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" file to find out what outputs is
>> detecting Xorg. You can also run "xrandr -q" to discover what is
>> connected.
>
> Here some lines from the beginning:

(...)

Better if you upload the whole file ("/var/log/Xorg.0.log") to any online
service, like www.pastebin.com so we can take a deep look.

> ls -la /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d

(...)

Nothing to look here :-)

> Can you give me a hint for what I should search for in the xorg log?

You should search for any indication that Xorg server is detecting your
second screen. But better put the whole file online, do not remove nor
trim nothing.

> By myself I couldn't find anything interesting...
>
> xrandr -q
>
> gives the following output:
>
> xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default Screen 0: minimum
> 640 x 480, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 1280 x 1024 default connected
> 1280x1024+0+0 0mm x 0mm
>    1280x1024       0.0*
>    1024x768        0.0
>    800x600         0.0
>    640x480         0.0

Should you have an additional (and properly detected) display, your
"xrandr -q" should also be aware of it, which does not seem to be the
case :-?

>> It seems the external display is not being detected. Your xorg log
> should
>> contain more data.
>
> Thanks.  What kind of data could that be?

Something about LVDS and VGA inputs, for instance.

>> > I erased the /etc/X11/xorg.conf as x windows didn't start anymore
> and
>> > this was the only way I found to make it start again and get back to
>> > work. Trying after to reconfigure xserver-xorg with
>> >   dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
>> > didn't recreate /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Could this be related?
>>
>> locate xorg.conf
>
> locate xorg.conf
>
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.20080418064505
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.20080418064650
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.20080418075252
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.20090513151200
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.20090514131411
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.20090514131504
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bu-2009-05-14
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bu2010
> /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d
> /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf
> /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-wacom.conf
> /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf
> /usr/share/xresprobe/xorg.conf

You are currently not using any "xorg.conf" file.

> The file
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bu2010
> is my backup from my last configuration which stopped to work, producing
> the following error:
>
>   Failed to start the X server (your graphical interface). It is likely
>   that it is not set up correctly.  ...
>
> The only way I found was to delete /etc/X11/xorg.conf ...

Yes, no xorg.conf should be needed at all, at least in Squeeze.

> Here its content:
>
> cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bu2010 | egrep -v '^#|^\s*$'
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
> EndSection
> Section "Screen"
>         Identifier      "Default Screen"
>         SubSection "Display"
>                 Virtual              2048 2048
>         EndSubSection
> EndSection
> Section "ServerLayout"
>         Identifier      "Default Layout"
>         Screen          "Default Screen"
> EndSection
>
> I remember to have read somewhere, that /etc/X11/xorg.conf is not used
> anymore as the configuration is dynamically generated.  Is that true?
> wrong?  Should I try to regenerate it?  If so, how?  dpkg-reconfigure
> xserver-xorg seems to not do anything at all...

True, Xorg server should be automatically configured and no static file
needed anymore, just in a few cases when autodetection fails or when you
want to use some specifics.

> But now only the external screen works - and in my office, the screen
> resolution is too low resulting in a horrible presentation :(

Let's see your log file. Maybe you are giving "xrandr" the bad
parameters :-?

>> After running the above command ("dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg"),
> your
>> "xorg.conf" file should be created under root's home (/root/
>> xorg.conf.new), if you want to make use of it, you'll have to move it
>> the right folder.
>
> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
>
> seems to create nothing at all :(
>
> find /root | grep -i xorg
>
> ...no output...

(...)

***
What if I do not have an xorg config file?
http://wiki.debian.org/Xorg
***

Maybe you can try with "Xorg -configure".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón