Re: lenny squeeze etc etc

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 18:09:39 -0800, Jim Pazarena wrote:

> On 2010-12-21 2:16 PM, Mark Goldshtein wrote:

>> I am just curious, how novices 'get lost' with, for example, "Debian
>> Stable 2011"? Of course, after that, you may add "6.0" and "Squeeze"
>> and whatever the Team wants, for example, full GNU v3 license text.
>
> My experience is with Suse (all numbers) and FreeBSD (all numbers).
> Wind$ws doesn't count! And, for that matter, Mac doesn't count.

There are numbers in Debian (5.0, 5.0.6, 5.0.7...).

> To try to remember Sid, Lenny, Squeeze, which one is the newest, etc.

Lenny "5.x" < Squeeze "6.x" < Sid (always on top)

I don't see where is the difficulty.

> Yes, of course, the packages are constantly updating, which happens in
> FreeBSD all the time, but knowing which base you are at, WITH A NUMBER,
> is cleaner IMO. John Hasler said it best "all fought out on
> debian-devel" many years ago. I did not mean to begin a war, nor did I
> anticipate the (few) personal flames I received. I simply didn't follow
> the archives far enough back.

To me, it seems reasonable to talk about this as newcomers (me included)
are not aware of the inners of these naming decisions, but my vote would
go for the current system.

Also, Debian release support cycles are (hopefully) one of the longest
you can find out there (2 years) so you have enough time to remember
both, the release codename and the number ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón