Re: lenny squeeze etc etc

On Tuesday 21 December 2010 22:16:42 Mark Goldshtein wrote:
> I am just curious, how novices 'get lost' with, for example, "Debian
> Stable 2011"? Of course, after that, you may add "6.0" and "Squeeze"
> and whatever the Team wants, for example, full GNU v3 license text.

a) Suppose that there are several Stable releases in the same calendar year?

b) I personally find that it depends on how many there are.  A handful?
Numbers are easier.  More, names are easier.  E.g., I installed Open SuSE on
my granddaughter's laptop, but cannot remember the exact number (11.x).  My
husband is on Lenny.  Easy to remember.  But I actually don't know which out
of the possible 5.x.x.  And as for Sarge and Woody....  (3.1 and 3.0???)

It is, however, easier if the names are in some easily remembered progression
(e.g. Hardy, Intrepid, Jaunty etc.) than if they are random (Woody, Sarge,
Etch, Lenny ...)

Lisi