Re: Xorg changes? Nouveaux prefered over NV? How can I tell?

On 2010-12-20 18:58 +0100, Alan Chandler wrote:

> I have a sqeeze system running as (amongst lots of other things) a
> mythtv backend/frontend combination.
>
> Yesterday, after a long overdue aptitude update, I noticed the video
> playing rather slow.
>
> I had previously configured the nvidia kernel module to run because it
> seem to perform better with mythtv

Was there an upgrade of nvidia-glx or the kernel?  Also, do you use the
nvidia-* packages from non-free, or have you run Nvidia's installer?

> Looking at my Xorg.0.log file, it appears that the nv driver is being
> loaded, but then unloaded and glx also fails to load.  the nouveau
> driver also appears to be loaded (I can see it starting up and I don't
> see it failing - although the vesa driver also seems to start up.
>

> (==) Matched nouveau as autoconfigured driver 0
> (==) Matched nv as autoconfigured driver 1
> (==) Matched vesa as autoconfigured driver 2
> (==) Matched fbdev as autoconfigured driver 3
> (==) Assigned the driver to the xf86ConfigLayout
> (II) LoadModule: "nouveau"
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nouveau_drv.so
> (II) Module nouveau: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
> 	compiled for 1.7.7, module version = 0.0.15
> 	Module class: X.Org Video Driver
> 	ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 6.0
> (II) LoadModule: "nv"
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nv_drv.so
> (II) Module nv: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
> 	compiled for 1.7.7, module version = 2.1.17
> 	Module class: X.Org Video Driver
> 	ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 6.0
>
> further down the file, and with no warning as to why
> (II) UnloadModule: "nv"
> (II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nv_drv.so

This is pretty normal, although you should specify the nvidia driver in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf, preventing all the probing of other drivers in the
first place.  Do you even have an xorg.conf?

> (EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible NVIDIA X driver
> not found)

You will not be able to run OpenGL programs.

> I have the following in /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-kernel-common.conf
>
> alias char-major-195* nvidia
> options nvidia NVreg_DeviceFileUID=0 NVreg_DeviceFileGID=44
> NVreg_DeviceFileMode=0660
> # To enable FastWrites and Sidebus addressing, uncomment these lines
> # options nvidia NVreg_EnableAGPSBA=1
> # options nvidia NVreg_EnableAGPFW=1
>
> # see #580894
> blacklist nouveau
>

> Which I seem to remember was a previous attempt to ensure the nouveau
> driver didn't load.  However an lsmod definitely shows it to be there.

Blacklisting a kernel module only ensures that udev won't load it
(because it runs modprobe with the "-b" switch).  It does not prevent
modprobe _without_ the "-b" switch).

Sven