Re: Question about /etc/fstab in Squeeze

Stephen Powell wrote:
> /dev is a pseudo file system created by udev.  Under ordinary conditions,
> no data in it persists across reboots.  I suspect that udev does not create
> a /dev/by-label directory unless it detects a disk partition with a label
> during boot.
>
> Perhaps none of Bob's partitions are labeled?

Good call.  I never use labels.  That explains it.

In my case I almost universially use raid and lvm and both of those
use UUIDs internally.  Meaning that although I never specify those
long uuids anywhere I get the benefit of them along with short device
names by default.  Which is better than a label.  But I wanted to say
that I wasn't against labels so much as being for raid and lvm.

Bob