Re: Question about /etc/fstab in Squeeze

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 03:51:28 -0500 (EST), Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> In <[🔎] 20101218221908.GA5350@hysteria.proulx.com>, Bob Proulx wrote:
>> Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>>>
>>> and /dev/disk/by-label. Of course. Thanks!
>>
>> /dev/disk/by-label ??  What kernel are you running?
>
> $ ls /dev/disk
> by-id  by-label  by-path  by-uuid
> $ uname -a
> Linux monster 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Fri Dec 10 15:35:08 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

/dev is a pseudo file system created by udev.  Under ordinary conditions,
no data in it persists across reboots.  I suspect that udev does not create
a /dev/by-label directory unless it detects a disk partition with a label
during boot.

Perhaps none of Bob's partitions are labeled?  A label is optional, both for
mkswap and mke2fs.  And if the partitioning/formatting is done by the Debian
installer, there may not be any labels.  A label can be added after the fact
with e2label, or an inactive swap partition can be reformatted by mkswap with
a label specified.  blkid will list the label, if there is one.

Caution: reformatting a swap partition with mkswap will change the
uuid unless the existing one is explicitly re-specified during formatting.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :