Re: Does somebody know how to install mintbackup for Debian

On Sunday 19 December 2010 12:39:58 Camaleón wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 23:06:51 +0000, Lisi wrote:
> > On Saturday 18 December 2010 18:43:06 Camaleón wrote:
> >> Linuxmint is based on Ubuntu which is based on Debian... so, in the end
> >> what you have is a ".deb" file but I would not mix packages from
> >> different distributions: it could work or it could give you nothing but
> >> headaches :-)
> >
> > Not necessarily.  There is now a version based on Debian instead of
> > Ubuntu. Tho' the rest of your comment obviously stands.
>
> He, he... yes, I know :-)

That doesn't surprise me - your knowledge seems to be encyclopaedic.  I very
much doubt that there is anything aboyt Linux that I know and you don't.  :-)
But you may have readers, either now or in the future, who do not know that.

> But the OP said plain Linux Mint (not "Linux Mint Debian Edition", in
> short "LMDE") and while LMDE is compatible with Debian repositories, the
> opposite does not have to be necessarily true (besides, LMDE does not
> have yet a 64-bit edition).

Yes - I entirely agree, and had in fact said that the rest of what you said
would still apply.  Indeed, I can think immediately of a case where a distro
could and did use Debian repositories, but where the reverse was not true.
I would be very wary indeed of trying to install on Debian from any repository
that is not explicitly intended for Debian.

Lisi