Re: Alligate bounces mail

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 07:05:59 +0100, Bonno Bloksma wrote:

> I subscribe to the Debian user maillist which generates dozens of mails
> per day. Sometimes Alligate refuses a mail from the list with a 5.x.x.
> error.

Is that "Alligate"...?

> Part of the bounce message (which was later forwarded to me):
> -----<quote>----------
>                   The mail system
>
> <b.bloksma@tio.nl>: host mail.tio.nl[217.114.99.201] said: 557 5.4.8
>     mailgate.tio.nl Refused (in reply to end of DATA command)
> -----<quote>----------
> In the log it says:
> -----<quote>----------
> C:\Temp>grep (383938) SMTP1215.txt
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

... a Windows program?

Not sure how people in _this_ list can help you >:-)

(...)

> 23:30:14.578 - (383938) Routing: Russian Federation->Germany->Destination. 10 penalty points added.

And what kind of rule is that?

> 23:30:14.578 - (383938) Possible loop - too many hops: ( 12):

(...)

> I am assuming the “too many hops: (12)” means there are 12 Received
> lines. So I want to increase that a little bit but I cannot find that
> option? Where is it?

"Too many hops" in mail server parlance uses to mean that the message is
passing for many hosts which can be an indication of a loop problem (bad
forwarding or aliasing configuration can lead the message into an infinite
loop state, so e-mail servers implement break points like this one you are
getting).

Inspect the full headers of the message to get further information on
what's going on.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón