Re: usb drive nolonger registers on one pc, still registers on another

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 17:11:02 -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 02:54:54PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> Remove all the USB devices that are attached to the computer and just
>> leave the USB hard disk. Are you still getting the warnings when only 1
>> USB device is connected?
>>
> Yes.  Disconnected USB mouse, printer, dvd-rw drive, scanner and ups.
> Then connected the USB hard drive and again a continuous stream of
> "unable to enumerate USB device on port 2"

Even if you boot up with just the USB hard disk attached? :-?

>> > I entered fdisk -l while the scrolling continued and the three sata
>> > hard drives were detected (the response interleaved in the scrolling)
>> > but the USB drive was not detected.
>>
> Tried rmmod ehci_hcd which removed the module.  This did not help, same
> result as above.

"Same" message cannot be ;-)

If the high speed USB module was removed, "ehci_hdc" should not be
present in your "dmesg" log when plugging the drive (resend the log
again, once you unload "ehci_hcd" module).

Also, have you tested with another high speed USB drive? If it happens
the same it would the a bit suspicious.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón