Re: dist upgrade nightmare!

Jude DaShiell wrote:
> I tried taking a friend's machine from lenny to squeeze and it
> turned into a disaster.  As a consequence of the attempt his entire
> package update and repair systems are broken.  apt-get -f install
> can't fix anything and dpkg --configure -a can't fix anything

Did you upgrade the kernel and reboot before upgrading the rest of the
system?  I am guessing that you tried to do a full dist-upgrade all in
one pass.  That is going to see a lot of problems because it doesn't
work.

Read this reference:

  http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#minimal-upgrade

But this how-to-recover reference might help you now:

  http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#how-to-recover

Bob