Re: Is squeeze compatible woth WD20EARS and other 2TB drives?

On 12/13/2010 03:57 PM, Klistvud wrote:
Howdie, fellow Debianites!

I'm planning to surprise my unsuspecting self with the above hard drive
for Christmas, but have read some alarming reports about
incompatibilities with GNU/Linux partitioning. Apparently, there are no
less than two distinct problems with these drivers:

1) an alignment problem due to the passage from 512-byte to 4096-byte
sector sizes, which seems to heavily affect transfer rates, and
2) a possibly related, but separate nonetheless, problem of wrong drive
sizes being recognized (either by the BIOS and/or by the kernel); such
as, 1TB being recognized instead of 2TB.

http://www.osnews.com/story/22872/Linux_Not_Fully_Prepared_for_4096-Byte_Sector_Hard_Drives

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/debian-26/unable-to-boot-fresh-install-on-2tb-harddrive-debian-ubuntu-838681

http://forums.storagereview.com/index.php/topic/28850-2tb-wd20ears-showing-up-as-1tb/

Would very much like to hear about any first-hand experiences you may
have in making these drives work with Debian -- squeeze specifically.
Will be very grateful for any feedback.

Hi,
it looks that is some problem with WD20EARS. I don't have WD20EARS but I found something on the net. I hope it would be helpful.

From WD community. On the end of page is link for solution:
http://community.wdc.com/t5/Desktop/2TB-WD20EARS-showing-up-as-1TB/m-p/41267/highlight/true#M2194

Other WD community:
http://community.wdc.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?q=WD20EARS+linux

Blog with solution:
http://b1mmer.com/linux/wdhdd/

If it is not a problem for you and if you somehow get that hdd for Christmas can you let me know (on/off list it doesn't matter) your experience?

--
Bye,
Goran Dobosevic