sudo command not necessary (was Re: help getting grub to see Windows 7 on second drive)

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 11:52:23PM +1300, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 03:48:52AM -0500, Doug wrote:
> > I suspect it will work in any Linux, if you modify the sudoers file to add
>
> Right! *IF* you modify the sudoers file. It does not work out of the box
> as it does in Ubuntu.

In fact:
root@fischer:~# apt-cache show sudo
Package: sudo

which means the sudo package isn't even installed by default. Imagine
you are new to Debian, and manage to send a message to debian-user where
the advice: "sudo <command>" is given. You try it, get command not
found, think wtf and try another distro or you write back mentioning the
error about sudo not found and end up not dealing with your problem at
all but on how to install the sudo package.

   -- Napoleon Bonaparte