Re: help getting grub to see Windows 7 on second drive

On 12/12/2010 11:03 PM, Chris Bannister wrote:
On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 04:43:17PM +0000, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
On 08/12/2010 15:58, Lisi wrote:
On Wednesday 08 December 2010 15:47:19 Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
sudo update-grub should do the trick. With grub2 the configuration file
(grub.cfg) should not be edited by hand; it's updated every time
update-grub is run.
Lenny uses grub 1.  I think that it is called grub-legacy in Squeeze, but am
not sure.

Lisi

The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there.
They also do things differently in Ubuntu!!
(sudo<command>  is an Ubuntu thing)
/snip/

I suspect it will work in any Linux, if you modify the sudoers file to add
yourself to it.  Frinstance, PCLinuxOs would prefer that you don't know
anything about sudo, but if you edit the file that's already there (using
visudo) and add yourself, then sudo will work.
The bottom of my sudoers file reads thus:
# User privilege specification
root    ALL=(ALL) ALL

# Uncomment to allow people in group wheel to run all commands
#%wheel ALL=(ALL)       ALL

# Same thing without a password
#%wheel ALL=(ALL)       NOPASSWD: ALL
# %users  ALL=/sbin/mount /cdrom,/sbin/umount /cdrom
# %users  localhost=/sbin/shutdown -h now
doug  ALL=(ALL) ALL <<<<added

In use:

$ sudo command
Password:

you enter your password, and  just this one command runs.
(I haven't tried multiple commands separated by ; but I
would expect it to work.)
It does not leave you in root, like su root does.

--doug

Blesssed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A. M. Greeley