Re: What are the dependencies of the gcc-4.2-base package?

On 13 December 2010 08:58, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
On 2010-12-13 02:55 +0100, Frank Church wrote:

> I was paring down my installation and  the command for gcc-4.2-base more or
> less threatened to wipe out everything on the server.
>
> apt-get purge gcc-4.2-base
>
> Is that the norm, or is it due to a corrupted package database?

My hunch is that the libgcc1 package (required by libc6, among others)
still depends on gcc-4.2-base, which means that your system is not up to
date.  What does "apt-cache policy libgcc1" print?

Sven

root@heron01:/usr/src# apt-cache policy libgcc1
libgcc1:
  Installed: 1:4.2.4-1ubuntu4
  Candidate: 1:4.2.4-1ubuntu4
  Version table:
 *** 1:4.2.4-1ubuntu4 0
        500 http://www.ftp.uni-erlangen.de hardy-updates/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     1:4.2.4-1ubuntu3 0
        500 http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security/main Packages
     1:4.2.3-2ubuntu7 0
        500 http://www.ftp.uni-erlangen.de hardy/main Packages

I thought gcc name referred to just the compiler, not on libraries created by the compiler.