Re: gdmflexiserver goes crazy

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 18:02:08 -0500, Petrus Validus wrote:

>> Logging out to get to a login screen didn't work either.  Now all
>> ctl-alt- f* keys give me a screen with no sognal.  Had to hard-reset to
>> reboot. Now using a Debian stable instead of testing, just to get this
>> message out.
>
> I had something similar to me happen when I tried out Testing two months
> ago.  Switching from GNOME (on tty7) to tty2 and then back to tt7 again
> gave me the same blank screen with no signal problem.  I found by
> switching around to different ttys that my usual F7 session had
> mysteriously moved to tty8.

Yeah.  My usual F7 session showed up on F8, too.  It just seemed to
allocate different F keys from before -- but I didn't consider this to be
significant, since as far as I know, it doesn't really matter which F key
goes with which session  when multiple sessions are around.

> I went back to using Stable on this machine.

Another thread on this list with the word 'gdm' in it suggests that the
problem may be bug http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=422735
where starting gdm is prevented by a script that uses the wrong file name
to access the gdm program.

Apparently fixed in gdm 2.20.10-2, which hadn't made it into testing last
time I upgraded.  So I guess it's time to upgrade and report back.

-- hendrik