Re: RAID1 with multiple partitions

On 10/12/2010 8:11 PM, Rob Owens wrote:
On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 05:57:09PM -0500, David Gaudine wrote:
Here I have a big problem.  The guide said to run grub and do
root(hd0,0)
setup(hd0)
and repeat for the other disk.  I don't have an executable file "grub".
grub-pc is installed.  After a bit of reading I tried this:

Are you trying it as root?

I assume you mean the part about root(hd0,0), not the part later that you snipped. I did try it as root. The first problem is, on this and on my working Squeeze system I don't have an executable file called Grub, although I do have grub-install. When I boot it boots directly to grub, but "root(hd0,0)" (or any other values instead of the zeros) gives an error.

With a system set up using the Squeeze beta2 installer, should I be running grub or grub-install? It seems that the command that clobbered my system was
grub-install --root-directory=/boot /dev/sda

I tried that again in rescue mode, with the same effect; a message that the command was successful, but an unbootable system.

My first mistake was I didn't reboot after installing Squeeze and before trying to install Grub, so I don't even know if the installer left me with a bootable system that I then messed up or if the system was never bootable. I'll be away for a couple of days but then I'll reinstall.

David