Re: setting up a network printer

Hi,

On 10 December 2010 15:19, Rick Pasotto <rick@niof.net> wrote:
> How do I configure a HL-4150CDN Brother printer?
>
> I have installed the hl4150cdnlpr-1.1.1-5.i386.deb and
> hl4150cdncupswrapper-1.1.1-5.i386.deb files from the Brother site.
> http://localhost:631 finds the printer and the correct printer driver.
>
> What is the ip address for the printer? How do I tell lp to use it as
> the default? The print dialog in AbiWord sees the printer but when I
> send something to it nothing prints (the job does show in the queue).

I've not configured this one, but have done HP and Canon printers.
Usually the printer will have an IP of something like 192.168.1.1, and
maybe wants user and passwords to access it like this (usually
admin/admin).  Once in there will usually be "network" tab and you can
set your own IP and mask here.  If it's on a home network you may need
to log into your router to see what IP the DHCP has handed out - I
reckon that it's best for printers (and other small servers) to have
fixed IPs on a home network, so you need to configure the router to do
this.

  Alternatively, some printers (e.g., HP) have a front panel display
and the IP and mask can be set there.

  Once you've got the IP you need to set CUPS up with that URI -
socket://192.168.....

  Should work then.

Rob Hurle

--