Re: Feedback needed: How to disable services at startup... and keep them so.

Sven Joachim wrote:
On 2010-12-09 09:15 +0100, Camaleón wrote:

On 2010-12-08 23:41 +0100, Javier Barroso wrote:

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 8:24 PM, Sven Joachim wrote:
You should use "update-rc.d network-manager disable" instead.  See
update-rc.d(8).
I think update-rc.d manpage should then change example which Camaleon
referenced in her solved post:

Example of disabling a service:
          update-rc.d -f foobar remove
          update-rc.d foobar stop 20 2 3 4 5 .
That does still work.
Not for me. Read:

Or maybe I missed something... again? :-)

No, now that I tested it I have to admit you're absolutely right.  It
seems that update-rc.d actually uses the LSB headers and ignores the
command line arguments.  I'm not sure that this is intended.

I think it is, from the manpage:

update-rc.d has two modes of operation for installing scripts into the boot sequence. A legacy mode where command line arguments are used to decide the sequence and runlevel configuration, and the default mode where dependency and runlevel information in the init.d script LSB comment header is used instead.

Hugo