Re: Feedback needed: How to disable services at startup... and keep them so.

On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 03:54:11 -0500, Tom H wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> Mmm... man page says by using "defaults" the service should be put in
>> sequence number 20 (unless there are any conflicts):
>>
>> test@debian:~$ ls -l /etc/rc* | grep network-manager
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  25 dic  8 14:12 K01network-manager -> ../init.d/network-manager
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  25 dic  8 14:12 K01network-manager -> ../init.d/network-manager
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  25 dic  8 14:12 S20network-manager -> ../init.d/network-manager
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  25 dic  8 14:12 S20network-manager -> ../init.d/network-manager
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  25 dic  8 14:12 S20network-manager -> ../init.d/network-manager
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  25 dic  8 14:12 S20network-manager -> ../init.d/network-manager
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  25 dic  8 14:12 K01network-manager -> ../init.d/network-manager
>>
>> And so it seems to be :-?
>
> Did you do the above on a Lenny or Squeeze/Sid box?

Squeeze.

> Whenever I use update-rc.d on a sid box to stop/remove/disable, I get a
> "using concurrency based boot sequencing" message with a warning about
> runlevels.
>
> It's just a warning so I guess that it's OK but I don't like it and now
> avoid update-rc.d.

The warning can be ignored but the service levels are not touched and it
does not work as expected (meaning, the service is not disabled at all).

> Furthermore, how does insserv deal with the scripts if you assign S20 to
> network-manager and it depends on a service that insserv has numbered
> S21?

It can be tweaked or so it says man page :-)

>>> The best way that I've found to deviate from the LSB headers is to use
>>> "/etc/insserv/overrides/".
>>
>> I'll have to test that, but first I would like to know if there is
>> another method to get the job done. I'd like to understand what I am
>> doing wrong.
>
> If you're using Squeeze/Sid and therefore have an insserv-controlled
> boot-process, why not use an insserv solution?
>
> There's more typing to be done but it works.

Simple, because it wasn't the advertized method for doing it.

> I've just tried "update-rc.d -f remove nfs-kernel-server; update-rc.d
> nfs-kernel server stop 2 3 4 5 ." and rebooted to find that
> nfs-kernel-server is still running.

Yep. But you missed the level number.

> I've also just tried "update-rc.d -f disable nfs-kernel-server" and
> rebooted to find that nfs-kernel-server is still running.

Then -Houston- we have additional problems.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón