Re: What is possible with static ip?

Hello,

Stan Hoeppner a écrit :
> Matt Smith put forth on 12/7/2010 3:32 PM:
>
> Yes, but you can do the same thing with a dynamic IP address and a
> dynamic DNS service.  A static IP is not a requirement to "host"
> anything.

A fixed address is required to host some services such as an
authoritative DNS server, and highly recommended to host an MX server.

>  I ran a home mail/web server for many years on SBC DSL with a
> dynamic (PPPoE) address.

Do not confuse the assignment method (static vs. dynamic) and the
persistence of the address (fixed vs. variable). A dynamically assigned
address can be fixed, i.e. never change.