Re: Extremely large level 1 backups with dump

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 1:29 AM, Peter Tenenbaum
<peter.g.tenenbaum@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 7:15 PM, Peter Tenenbaum
> <peter.g.tenenbaum@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Peter Tenenbaum
>> <peter.g.tenenbaum@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> In thinking this over, I think that the best approach is to simply have a
>>> daily rsync --archive from my main hard drive to the backup drive.  While I
>>> understand that more sophisticated backup systems are often useful in a
>>> large system, the system in question is a home computer with only 2 users.
>>> The file complement changes but slowly, and we never delete and rarely
>>> overwrite files, so there's no need to be able to, say, recover the 3 days
>>> ago version of a file.  The backup system is mainly there for disaster
>>> recovery, with daily backups preferred just so that we don't lose many
>>> e-mail messages in the event of a catastrophic failure.
>>>
>>> Do you concur that a simple rsync makes more sense in this context, or do
>>> you think that I would still benefit from using either the --link-dest
>>> option or rsnapshot?
>>
>> Well, after having some difficulty getting rsync to do exactly what I
>> want, I've become convinced to try rsnapshot.  I'll let you know how it
>> goes.
>
> So on my first attempt, I realized that I need to exclude the /media
> directory, or else the backup drive will attempt to back up itself.  OK,
> that's fine.
>
> On the second attempt, the backup got into the /proc directory, complained
> about some files disappearing, and then froze.
>
> I don't have these problems on my work computer, where I use rsync, but
> there I only back up my home directory.  Here I'm trying to do the entire
> filesystem (actually both the root and boot filesystems).  So it's a much
> larger world.

Create "rsyncfilter", for example:
- /dev/
- /lost+found/
- /media/
- /mnt/
- /proc/
- /srv/
- /sys/
- /tmp/
- /var/cache/
- /var/lock/
- /var/run/

And run "rsync -{options} --exclude-from /path/to/rsyncfilter / ..."