Re: jewelcase insert for 5.0.7 "Lenny" Official i386 xfce+lxde-CD

On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 02:43:30 -0500
Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> dijo:

>I have found that Light-Scribe is a surer way to know what's on a
>disk, and if you're into jewel cases, you can read right thru the
>empty top.
>
>Your idea of distributing them alongside the distro is a good one, but
>the problem I see is that most folks will just d/l the .iso, and never
>notice the jewelcase insert.

As a university graduate student I come in contact with a lot of people
who see my computer running Linux. This gives me an opportunity to
introduce them to Linux. In the past I always carried an Ubuntu-32 live
CD to hand them. After handing out several and finding that no one even
tried the live CD I started asking some of the ones that I had given
the CDs to why. Their response was universally that they were afraid
the CD contained a virus.

Windows users (especially) are terrified of malware. As well they ought
to be, considering the OS they run. My CD with Ubuntu-32 written on it
with a sharpie did not impress them. But later I acquired some Ubuntu
CDs from Ubuntu nicely printed. With these I finally had several people
try the CD, and two are now running Linux.

I'm not suggesting that Debian needs to be on a fancy, professional CD,
because Debian is not really aiming at the newbie Linux user like
Ubuntu. I'm just saying that a professionally created CD enhances your
credibility.

Regarding Lightscribe, I built myself a desktop a couple years ago and
paid a couple bucks extra for DVD drives with Lightscribe. Eventually I
got them working under Linux. And then I discovered that they do only
grayscale, and at a very low resolution at that. And the media cost
almost twice as much as regular media. Bah. If you really want nice
looking CDs to hand out, get an inkjet that can do CDs or, if you have
enough volume to justify the cost, send them out to be done
professionally.

If all you want is something to hand out at the next meeting of your
Linux user group, a CD labeled with a sharpie is fine. Linux users are
not impressed by glitz anyway.