Re: [OT] Making CPU fans spin [was: Re: Seeking advice...]

On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 11:49:55PM +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Mi, 01 dec 10, 08:18:27, PETER EASTHOPE wrote:
> >
> > Advisable to replace the fan before other components have heat
> > damage.  Repair is an option too.  If the fan has ball bearings,
> > they can be replaced.  Bearing vendors can be found on the Web
> > and on eBay.  If the fan has bushings, they can be reconditioned.
> > Take them out.  Poach them in non-detergent oil for at least 12
> > hours to release the wear particles.  Reassemble.  Certainly worth
> > the effort.
>
> This is the first thing to do as soon as I have "my" Debian running on
> the "other" machine ;) Is WD40 suitable for such fans?

No, WD40 won't last use sewing machine or 3-in-1 oil.
I've never disassembled one of these little muffin fans that come in
the PC or power supply but have had good luck just cleaning and oiling
them. About every 6 months I take the fans out and clean the exterior
with alcohol and Q-Tips removing the grease and dust that builds up.
I then lift the sticker or pop the little cap on the front (blade side)
of the fan that covers the bearing and put a drop or two of oil on the
end of the bearing and recover it. I haven't replaced a fan in this old
P1 system since I started doing that.
HTH,
Mike

--