Re: Re: after upgrade to squeeze keyboard does no longer work with X

Hi,

>> after an upgrade to squeeze I have the problem that my keyboard is no
>> longer recognized by X (the mouse works). If I kill gdm/kdm from
>> another
>> machine via ssh, I get a console where the keyboard works. Xorg.0.log
>> does not show any errors (and the keyboard is mentioned there).
>>
>> It does not matter whether the keyboard is connected via USB or PS/2.
>> Removing my xorg.conf (to use the defaults/autodetection) does not
>> help
>> either.
>>
>> Any ideas how to debug the problem?

> Upload "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" (if any) and "/etc/
> defaults/keyboard" to www.pastebin.com

/etc/X11/xorg.conf is empty (well, actually I want to add something
there, but that's not relevant for this bug, see below).

/etc/default/keyboard contains

XKBMODEL="pc105"
# XKBLAYOUT="us"
XKBLAYOUT="de"
XKBVARIANT="nodeadkeys"
XKBOPTIONS=""

Xorg.0.log for "de" layout is at http://pastebin.com/1L0yTgEx and for
"us" layout at http://pastebin.com/XtjcCMiW. For "de" layout it works,
but not for "us" layout.

The only problem is, I have a "us" layout keyboard! With the "de"
keyboard some keys are obviously wrong, but at least I am able to input
something at all.

Comparing both log files (ignoring "de" vs. "us" and different
/dev/input/eventX numbers for power buttons and PC speaker) I only see
that the log for the "de" layout has at the end

(II) Power Button: Close
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(II) Power Button: Close
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(II) HID 046a:0011: Close
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(II) Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse: Close
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(II) Macintosh mouse button emulation: Close
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(II) i2c IR (HVR 1110): Close
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"

which is not the case for the failing "us" layout. I guess that's
because for the "de" layout I properly shut down X, which I didn't do
for the failing "us" layout.

Note that I always rebooted between changes to /etc/default/keyboard.

I also checked that /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/us exists and it looks good.

> Have you tried to create a new user account and test from there?

No, I don't think that would help (I can't even enter a user name in the
kdm/gdm login window).

Joachim