Re: Seeking advice and documentation on non-standard software RAID1 setup

Andrei Popescu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I got a laptop from work (Windows unfortunately) which I would like to
> use from time to time with an install on a SD card. Also recently my own
> laptop wouldn't start because of fan troubles (I had to "assist" with
> the vacuum cleaner) and I realised that a) I want to have my work
> environment and b) my backups are a bit old.
>
> So here is what I thought of:
>
> - make a software RAID1 on my laptop between a SD card and a partition
>   on the builtin HDD
> - whenever I want or need to use the other laptop I use the SD card to
>   boot from it and work in my environment
>
> This way I can enjoy my work environment on whatever machine I work and
> also have a sort of backup.
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1. Is this setup possible and/or feasible?
> 2. Where should I start?
> 3. Any other issues I haven't thought of (I have zero experience with
> RAID)
>
> Thanks,
> Andrei

My advice is to use the SD card only for the $HOME dir. A good idea is to
use ecryption.
IO is slower on SD as someone mentioned before, so take some MMS card
probably with faster IO ... the problem is most have faster read than
write.

The second thing is ... how often do you use the CD&DVD drive in your
notebook. Buy a second hd tray and a second disk and do a real raid on
those disks. If you can spend more money take solid state disks. In fact is
it necessary to raid solid state

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive

I am doing a backup once a month ... I don't use any raid ... no issues in
the past. After 4 years of use, I have disassembled the notebook and
cleaned it up with a spray. I think it will work for the next 4 years ...
it is so quite and doesn't warm up. (This is somehow off this topic with
the SD card, but might be a good advise on how to maintain a notebook). It
is not enough to clean it with the v.cleaner from outside.

regards