Re: To make unreadable a functional system.

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 23:34 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:
> after a system has been installed and configured - to make it
> encrypted so that it will make impossible (or almost so) to read its
> files, configuration, etc (even though the HDD be removed from the
> host and connected to another running OS) - yet that it will run from
> turning on power on the host itself (boot).

> - In short - possible to use, impossible to read w/o a password.

I am not entirely sure what you are trying to achieve, but I think you
aim for full disk encryption and user/root passwords. Take a look at the
following links, which describe methods to setup disk encryption:

http://smcv.pseudorandom.co.uk/2008/09/cryptroot/
http://linuxgazette.net/140/kapil.html

I followed the second approach and am very happy with it. If these
approaches do not cover your usecase you might want to desribe your
objectives in more detail.
--
  .''`.     Wolodja Wentland    <wolodja.wentland@ed.ac.uk>
 : :'  :

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.