Re: VLC player doesn't playback correctly

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 16:52:24 +0200, Matthias Andersson wrote:

> On 11/28/2010 01:52 PM, Camaleón wrote:

>> The only it remains is the inhability of VideoLAN to open files from
>> "sftp" or other network sources but I dunnot how to bypass this unless
>> importing/mounting the share vian samba/nfs :-?
>

> I used to have Ubuntu 10.04 installed on the laptop prior to switching
> over back to Debian (have not had Debian installed on this particular
> machine). The playback over sftp worked in Ubuntu but not now.

Interesting.

> This couldn't be because the other filesystem is ext4?

I don't think so... indeed, searching for sftp support in Videolan I
reached this version release status/changes:

***
http://www.videolan.org/developers/vlc/NEWS

Changes between 1.0.6 and 1.1.0:
(...)
Access:
* Support for the sftp protocol
***

So, it is supported, or at least it should be supported in 1.1.0. But, at
what level? By launching the media resource using file browser (nautilus,
dolphin...), by direct opening "file → open..." or by requesting the
source using an sftp client?

Diff providing sftp support is here:

New sftp access module.
http://git.videolan.org/gitweb.cgi?p=vlc.git;a=blob;f=modules/access/sftp.c;h=8da576495327dcfe2236f21871dd9c4abe869839;hb=631a992c7bbbc9da57526c2c4edae036d6c26a78