iPAQ connection to Debian Squeeze

There are tons of articles out there on this subject, nearly all of them either wrong or hopelessly out of date. It's driving me crazy. The switch from KDE3 to KDE4 has changed everything. So lets start with the very basic task of getting the linux system to recognize the existence of the device when plugged into a USB port.

1. The device doesn't show up on synce-trayicon but my stick memory does.

2. The device doesn't show up on Dolphin but my stick memory does. The stick memory shows up under root/media/usb0

3. The stick memory is automounted and shows up on KDiskFree as /dev/sdc1. No sign of the iPAQ

4. The device does show up on the KDE Info Center with the following information:

iPAQ PocketPC

Class

255

(Vendor Specific Class)

Subclass

255

(Vendor Specific Subclass)

Protocol

0

USB Version

1.00

Vendor ID

0x49f

(Compaq Computer Corp.)

Product ID

0x3

(iPAQ PocketPC)

Revision

0.00

Speed

12 Mbit/s

Channels

0

Max. Packet Size

16

This is under  USB Devices:
            EHCI Host Controller(1)
                Unknown
                    USB2.0 MFP (Hi Speed)
                        IPAQ PocketPC

I have the following software loaded on the Squeeze/KDE4 system:

synce-trayicon
synce-hal
multisyn

The following packages no longer are available in Squeeze but were required with KDE3. Obviously they are not loaded.

synce-sync-engine
synce-kdm
vfs (optional)

The system hardware is an Intel DP55KG Motherboard with an Intel i5-750 Processor.

Any help with unsnarling this mess will humbly appreciated. I've spent the last month trying to work bugs out of my setup and it is really getting old.

Gary R.