Re: apt-get apting uc?

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 03:50:08AM EST, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Ma, 23 nov 10, 23:52:50, Chris Jones wrote:
> > After syncing via an apt-get update and running an apt-get upgrade, I am
> > seeing some unfamiliar messages¹ when I try to install new packages:
>
> Do you mean these?

Yes, forgot to add an explanatory footnote.

> >   Retrieving bug reports... Done
> >   Parsing Found/Fixed information... Done
> > → serious bugs of fusesmb (-> 0.8.7-1) <done>
> >    #536907 - fusesmb: FTBFS: configure: error: Please install nmblookup. (Fixed: fusesmb/0.8.7-1.1)
> > → grave bugs of fuse-utils (-> 2.7.4-1.1+lenny1) <pending>
> >    #602333 - /usr/bin/fusermount: fusermount allows unmount any filesystem
> > → Are you sure you want to install/upgrade the above packages? [Y/n/?/...]

> [...]
>
> > Does the above mean that something in the debian respositories has
> > changed during the eight months when I was unable to use debian and that
> > I needed to follow suit and make changes to /etc/apt/sources.list?
> >
> > Since I hit enter and accepted the default ‘Y’ when asked to confirm
> > whether I wanted to install the packages, have I hosed apt on my system?
> >
> > Or is it just a case of my apt-get upgrade having upgraded apt and the
> > newer version being more verbose?
>
> Seems like you installed apt-listbugs ;)

Good catch!

/var/log/apt/term.log.* tells me that it was installed on 01/18/2010 and
‘history | grep listbugs’ indeed logged the corresponding ‘apt-get
install’ command.

I cannot remember what I was thinking and the other packages that
I installed at that time do not really provide any clues.

I did an ‘apt-get -s remove apt-listbugs’ and as expected it did not try
to remove anything else -- i.e. so it wasn't pulled in when I installed
another package.

I'll leave it at that and read the listbugs manual now. See how I can
put this mysterious gift from the debian heavens to good use.

Thanks,

cj

¹ as indicated by the ‘→’ right-arrows.