Re: Bonded NIC's did not come up at boot?

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 15:28:10 -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> Camaleón put forth on 11/23/2010 2:38 AM:

>>> It's not a bug.  It's feature incomplete.  It seems clear that the
>>> author(s) never intended it to be used on virtual NICs.
>>
>> Then better than providing wrong information to the user is displaying
>> nothing or a simple warning ("feature not -yet- implemented").
>
> Or, maybe the authors assume people will use the tool as intended:

There is a slight difference in the output of "mii-tool" and "ethtool"
when specifying a bonded interface. While the first shows unrealistic
data, the latter just says "No data available" which I find it a better
approach (trustworthy, at least).

>        This utility checks or sets the status of a network interface's
> Media Independent Interface (MII) unit.  Most fast ether-
>        net adapters use an MII to autonegotiate link speed and duplex
> setting.
>
> Virtual adapters don't have an MII.  MII is hardware in silicon. Virtual
> adapters don't have silicon.

Then better don't say (not "you", but mii-tool) virtual link is at 10
Mbit/s. That's misleading.

> It should be clear to anyone reading the mii-tool man page, and
> possessing some common sense, that the tool will not work properly on a
> virtual adapter.  If you don't understand this, talk to the authors:

(...)

No need to be "picky", everything can be improved. Error management and
user interaction are also an important part of programming design and
development.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón