Re: Chromium addons (was Re: Frustration made me do it.)

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 19:29:31 +0800
Jason Heeris <jason.heeris@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 23 November 2010 19:13, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> > So, how effective are ABP and Flashblock?  I read once that the Chrome ABP
> > doesn't actually *block* ads from loading but simply prevents them from
> > being displayed.
>
> That was the case some time ago, but according to the plugin site[1]
>
>     New in version 2.0:  Ads are actually blocked from downloading
>     now, instead of just being removed after the fact!
>
> I've also tried AdThwart, but went back to AdBlock (I can't actually
> remember why), and it works for me on slow connections.

I use Privoxy - not as user friendly as the plugins, but it will work
across all your browsers, is much more powerful (IIUC), and has no risk
of increasing browser bloat or instability, or becoming incompatible
with future browser versions.

Celejar