Re: Enquiry related to Debian Usage and Features.

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 16:36:30 +0530
"Kambesh_Support ." <kambeshsupport@gmail.com> wrote:

> Debian supports Java. I am planning to develop my software in Java and
> install it in embedded OS.
>
> Does Debian supports full J2SE functions? If No, then can I install my own
> JVM in debian.

If you want the official JVM, Oracle provides the official package in .deb format, so you can just go to their site and install it yourself- though since Debian packages it, you can and *should* just install the sun-java6-jdk/sun-java6-jre packages from the non-free repository (this way you get updates automagically when you update your system).  IcedTea is a jvm based on OpenJDK and Classpath, and it is also in the repositories (though only in squeeze/testing, I believe).  Finally, you also have gcj, which compiles to native code.  So, in short, you have plenty of options.

> Actually I m requiring functionalities where I can work with PDF, Excel and
> some third party USB Devices using my Software developed in Java.

Do you mean java libraries where you can access PDF/XLS files and USB devices?  For the USB devices, if you don't need raw binary access, you can rely on the OS to mount it and just read from the filesystem like any other file.  jUSB also works on debian, though i'm not sure if there are packages for that- you might have to compile them yourself.  Or, since linux makes it easy to access the raw devices through the /dev hierarchy, you can just access them raw if you're feeling ambitious (DISCLAIMER: THE WRONG WAY).  So, in short, use the OS's ability to mount it for you, or use jUSB.  It really depends on what you want to do.

A quick google provided me with PDFbox (pdfbox.apache.org) and Apache POI (poi.apache.org) for the PDF and Microsoft office files, respectively.  I don't know anything about these libraries though.

--
rbmj