Re: Why is troubleshooting Linux so hard?

Borden Rhodes wrote:
Thank you for the response.  Indeed, you are correct in that my problem
isn't specific to Linux kernel troubleshooting (although I could
dedicate a website to things that don't work there) but with the
software that runs on Debian in general.

To clarify, the problem I have is when the computer freezes and crashes,
I forcibly restart the computer, and I try to trace what caused the
problem and cannot do so.  I pick through the dozens of files
in /var/log/ and cannot find any clues about what caused the crash.
Even if I can find a suspicious log entry or two, Googling them directs
me to bug reports and forum posts from 2006.  Almost none of these are
relevant to tracing what caused the problem.
Now that is a problem with a more focused solution - better crash dump/analysis tools. The Linux kernel has always lagged behind Solaris and BSD variations in terms of built-in crash dump tools - it takes compiling a custom kernel to enable some of the Linux capabilities (particularly if you're running Xen). Otherwise, about the only clue to be had about kernal panics is from the console - if you have a console that captures the panic message.

Sigh....

Miles