Re: Why is troubleshooting Linux so hard?

On Mon Nov 15, 2010 at 13:51:55 -0500, Borden Rhodes wrote:

> What would it take to get some error message standards in place so that
> troubleshooting Linux is possible for those of us who aren't computer
> science PhD candidates?

  1.  Make a list of all the programs which exist, but which do not
     log "useful" information.

  2.  Persuade every single one of them that your suggestion to add
     "useful" logging information is a good one.

  3.  Wait for them all to update.

  This is the problem - There is no single place this change could
 be made.  Even if it were in KDE and all KDE applications go it you'd
 be missing other things such as sudo, screen, less, GNOME, etc.

  You suggest "troubleshooting linux", but what you really mean (I
 guess) is troubleshooting any available program which just happens
 to run upon Linux systems (and possibly others).

  Even if you were to get a wide agreement I suspect you'd still
 be frustrated - as what is useful information to me is probably
 not useful information to you.  As things stand you typically get
 access to source code, documentation, and tutorials online.  I suspect
 the pragmatic thing to do if you encounter problems is to explore
 that particular program/system thoroughly and learn in the process
 the things you're missing.

  No PhD candidacy required.

Steve
--