Re: Why is troubleshooting Linux so hard?

Dne, 15. 11. 2010 19:51:55 je Borden Rhodes napisal(a):
I'm pleased for all of the feedback and that I'm not the only person
who's frustrated.  I tried proposing to debian-policy that it be
mandatory that all logs have timestamps
http://lists.debian.org/debian-policy/2010/02/msg00035.html but my
suggestion was dismissed because it was considered too hard to enforce. I responded http://lists.debian.org/debian-policy/2010/08/msg00043.html
saying that it shouldn't be very difficult to enforce or implement at
all.

Well, even if that was difficult to enforce or implement, it shouldn't be difficult at all to at least "suggest" or "strongly encourage", right?

What would it take to get some error message standards in place so that
troubleshooting Linux is possible for those of us who aren't computer
science PhD candidates?

I second that. Moreover, I'm confident that within, say, five years from now, such standards will be a given, making us wonder how people managed to live without them for so long ...

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com Certifiable Loonix User #481801 Please reply to the list, not to me.