Screen rotation messes up brightness - whose fault?

Hullo all,

I've freshly reinstalled Debian Squeeze with GNOME this time and,
amongst other things, I've noticed a problems with my Intel 855 graphics
(aside from the obvious lack of 3D acceleration).  When I rotate the
screen, the display dims to the lowest setting and there's no way to get
it back to full brightness without restarting the computer.  I've
fiddled with the power settings to no avail and tried every other form
of Linux trickery I know.

If I'm going to file a bug, is it the RandR library's fault or the Intel
driver's fault?

With thanks,

Borden