Re: Packages - what's the best way?

Kelly Clowers <kelly.clowers@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 23:20, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Du, 14 nov 10, 20:54:42, Bob Proulx wrote:
>>>
>>> And if 'sudo' isn't configured for you then that is the first thing
>>> that you will want to do. :-)
>>>
>>>   # visudo
>>>   rob     ALL=(ALL) ALL
>>
>> What's wrong with su?
>
> It is the The Wrong Way(TM), because it involves giving everyone the
> root password
> and unlimited authority, and it has very little in the way of logging.

Doesn't the 'ALL=(ALL) ALL' line give the user unlimited authority
anyways? Is there any security benefit to logging in as a user with
unlimited sudo access over just logging in as root?

I don't see the point of sudo *except* to allow fine-grained control to
select programs to select users. Using it to provide open access seems
counter-productive.