Re: Packages - what's the best way?

Rob Hurle wrote:
> Does anyone have advice on the best way to handle a .deb package?

The easiest way is to not handle .deb files at all.  Instead allow
apt-get to install the package and any dependencies from the network.

> Can I make up my own repository of .deb packages and point apt-get
> at that to install packages?

Yes.  Many of us do that for packages that we create ourselves.  But
if you are new to Debian then this isn't something I recommend for you
to do yet.  Get some familiarity with the system before trying such
advanced topics.

> I've installed one or two small things (gcc and gnu make) using
> dpkg, but I wondered if there was a better way to do this.

What!?  Why?  In the future just use apt-get to install things that
you want.

  $ sudo apt-get update
  $ sudo apt-get install gcc
  $ sudo apt-get install make

If you are compiling programs then you will want to install the
build-essential package at the least to pull in many of the tools that
you need.

  $ sudo apt-get install build-essential

And if you have a package in mind that you want to tinker with and to
rebuild yourself in different ways then you can install all of the
build dependencies for that package.

  $ sudo apt-get build-dep grep
  $ sudo apt-get build-dep coreutils
  $ sudo apt-get build-dep whatever

And if 'sudo' isn't configured for you then that is the first thing
that you will want to do. :-)

  # visudo
  rob     ALL=(ALL) ALL

> I've just downloaded opera and it comes in a .deb package, so this
> is my next task.  apt or dpkg - or even synaptic?

Yes.  For Opera on Debian see the instructions on the wiki which go
into detail what you should do.

  http://wiki.debian.org/Opera

Bob