Re: Howto: Samsung ML-1915 with Debian Lenny

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 14:16:53 +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Camaleón writes:
>
>> On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 11:53:17 +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>>
>>> Easy way to make Samsung ML-1915 printer work with Debian Lenny
>>> without installing *any* package at all:
>>>
>>> http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=57364
>>
>> A similiar workaround was available here:
>>
>> GUIDE: How to make your Samsung ML-1915 work
>> https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=97460
>

> Yes, but:
>
> 1) it doesn't work for me: the ppd file alone is not enough; you also
> have to
>    copy the file `rastertosamsungspl' to /usr/lib/cups/filter;
>
> 2) it suggests to blacklist usblp, which is not necessary on my system
> and
>    besides creates some problem (see thread `Problems with
>    /etc/modprobe.conf').

Oh, of course... that FAQ is for another distro, some steps can vary or
even not needed at all (like blacklisting usblp module, yes).

I just was empahtizing that sometimes it is not required to install all
the bunch of packages that manufacturers want we to install (i.e., hplip
suite).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón