netatalk trouble

I actually need netatalk (as opposed to the recent poster) in an office full of Macs.

I've been trying for quite a while, so some stuff is already there. When asked to install, Aptitude says:

Selecting previously deselected package netatalk.
(Reading database ... 63846 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking netatalk (from .../netatalk_2.0.3-11+lenny1_amd64.deb) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up netatalk (2.0.3-11+lenny1) ...
Starting Netatalk services (this will take a while): atalkd is already running (pid = 5320), or the lock file is stale.
invoke-rc.d: initscript netatalk, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing netatalk (--configure):
 netatalk
A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:
Setting up netatalk (2.0.3-11+lenny1) ...
Starting Netatalk services (this will take a while): atalkd is already running (pid = 5320), or the lock file is stale.
invoke-rc.d: initscript netatalk, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing netatalk (--configure):
 netatalk
Press return to continue.

And ps says:

root      5320  0.0  0.0   5988   676 ?        T    12:42   0:00 /usr/sbin/atalkd

So sure enough, it's there. But 'killall atalkd' (or a full pathname) does nothing -- it's still there (same pid) afterward.

Do I have some some flip-flop toggled incorrectly or something? I've been running netatalk for years with (relatively) no problem.

Last May, I broke my brains falling of a bike, tossing my head into a pile of rocks. I'm still recovering. So please allow a little slack for bent brains -- I just spent half a day trying to remember the name of program that displays a sorted list of running processes. Thank you, Google, for finding 'top' for me. And stay away from bicycles!

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com