Re: Problem with btrfs supporting in debian-installer daily build.

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 09:44:53PM +0800, Magicloud Magiclouds wrote:
> Hi,
>   I got a daily build version of debian netinst CD yesterday and used
> it to deploy a machine.
>   I choose btrfs for root device. And it cannot boot up since the
> btrfs module cannot be loaded. A blur memory from my experience with
> btrfs rooting, I think this is the fault of initrd scripts. Two other
> modules (one of them is crc32) should be included in initrd.img.

This should be reported as a bug.  Probably against initramfs-tools.

It may already be reported.  See #602254
Looks like it's a module dependency issue, not a bug in the initramfs
generator.

Note: btrfs is currently still a new and experimental filesystem,
so you should probably not use it for critical uses just yet.  In
practice it's working fairly well (I've had my /home on it for six
months without incident, but there have been bugs with e.g. dpkg
575891 which caused loss of files under /var/lib/dpkg/info on
btrfs filesystems, noticed in build chroots).  So there may be other
buggy software which behaves badly on btrfs.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh