Re: Where has my Windows partition gone?

On 11/13/2010 5:33 PM, John O Laoi wrote:
Hello,
I have a dual boot laptop running squeeze.

I update regularly.

I rarely use the Windows partition – I have not used it for several months.

However, it now appears to be gone, according to grub.
At least, when I boot up, and get the blue screen with the list of
options, the Windows one is not there.
Instead I get a list of kernels

But “fdisk -l” says it is still there.

/dev/sda1               1          11       88326   de  Dell Utility

/dev/sda2   *          12        2622    20972857+   7  HPFS/NTFS

/dev/sda3            2623        5233    20972857+   7  HPFS/NTFS

/dev/sda4            5234       12161    55649160    5  Extended

/dev/sda5            5234        7191    15727603+  83  Linux

/dev/sda6            7192        7452     2096451   82  Linux swap / Solaris

/dev/sda7            7453       12161    37825011   83  Linux

Any ideas?

John

I don't know what may be available on other disks, but the PCLINUXOS
Live disk, in the live section (i.e., without actually installing
PCLos) will let you go to "More Applications>Configuration>Redo MBR"
and then you should be able to get your Windows back.  It also
provides you with a nice boot screen, unlike Ubuntu's grub version.
(I don't remember what Debian's looks like.) I have used this to
get boot inputs for Debian and Ubuntu, as well as PCLos andthe Windows XP which it already recognized. If you have something odd, like an extra "ghost" version of some system showing up, it provides a text
version of the partition information which you can modify if you
need to.  I am on a different computer right now, but I will send to
your address a copy of this text as it exists on my laptop.  Note
that some lines are commented out, by me, as this was a "ghost"
problem created by Ubuntu, and showed up on their grub menu also.

--doug
--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A.M. Greeley