RE: how to resetup fake-raid

> On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 19:48:48 -0500 <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 7:13 PM, Mike V.  wrote:
> >> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> >> Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 08:10:55 -0500
> >>
> >> I am trying to re-setup my fake-raid (RAID1) volume with LVM2 like setup
> >> previously. I had been using dmraid on a Lenny installation which gave me
> >> (from memory) a block device like /dev/mapper/isw_xxxxxxxxxxx_ and also
> >> a /dev/OneTB-RAID1, but have discovered that the mdadm has replaced
> >> the older and believed to be obsolete dmraid for multiple disk/raid support.
> >>
> >> Automatically the fake-raid LVM physical volume does not seem to be set up.
> >> I believe my data is safe as I can insert a knoppix live-cd in the system and
> >> mount the fake-raid volume (and browse the files). I am planning on perhaps
> >> purchasing another at least 1TB drive to backup the data before trying too
> >> much fancy stuff with mdadm in fear of loosing the data.
> >>
> >> pvdisplay (showing the /dev/md/[device] not recognized yet by LVM2)
> >> --- Physical volume ---
> >> PV Name /dev/sdc7
> >> VG Name XENSTORE-VG
> >> PV Size 46.56 GiB / not usable 2.00 MiB
> >> Allocatable yes (but full)
> >> PE Size 4.00 MiB
> >> Total PE 11920
> >> Free PE 0
> >> Allocated PE 11920
> >> PV UUID wRa8xM-lcGZ-GwLX-F6bA-YiCj-c9e1-eMpPdL
> >>
> >> cat /proc/mdstat
> >> Personalities :
> >> md127 : inactive sda[1](S) sdb[0](S)
> >> 4514 blocks super external:imsm
> >>
> >> ls -l /dev/md/imsm0
> >> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Nov 7 08:07 /dev/md/imsm0 -> ../md127
> >>
> >> ls -l /dev/md127
> >> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 9, 127 Nov 7 08:07 /dev/md127
> >>
> >> update-initramfs -u
> >> update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64
> >> mdadm: cannot open /dev/md/OneTB-RAID1-PV: No such file or directory
> >
> > So it looks like I can not even access the md device the system created on
> > boot. Does anyone have a guide or tips to migrating from the older dmraid
> > to mdadm for fake-raid?
> >
> > fdisk -uc /dev/md127
> > Unable to read /dev/md127
> >
> > dmesg
> > [ 4.214092] device-mapper: uevent: version 1.0.3
> > [ 4.214495] device-mapper: ioctl: 4.15.0-ioctl (2009-04-01) initialised: dm-devel@redhat.com
> > [ 5.509386] udev[446]: starting version 163
> > [ 7.181418] md: md127 stopped.
> > [ 7.183088] md: bind
> > [ 7.183179] md: bind
>
> No necessarily being helpful but thought that I'd point out that
> "pvdisplay" shows "/dev/sdc7" not "/dev/md127" and "cat /proc/mdstat"
> shows both sda and sdb as spares...
>
> I'd ask on the mdraid list if I were you, especially since mdraid
> replacing dmraid must be a recent change.

Thanks for the feedback. The physical logical volume on /dev/sdc7 actually not part of the fake-raid that I am trying to setup again, but /dev/sd[ab] certain are.

I assume the '(S)' denoted them are spares? Do you know if there is any way to 'activate' them both for use like in 'activating' a LVM volume group?